St. Patrick’s Day
So with us all having to celebrate St. Patrick’s day at home this year, why not try out this Irish stew?
Just what we need to lift the spirits in these though times.
Enjoy Patricks day everyone.
- 1kg diced stewing lamb well trimmed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped ½ large turnip, chopped
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of wholegrain mustard
- 1 litre of beef or chicken stock (approx)
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chopped parsley
- Pinch of dried mixed herbs
1. Place the lamb in a large pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Drain and rinse the lamb, place in a clean pot.
2. Add the stock to the pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add the vegetables.
4. Season. Cover the pot and cook gently for approx 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
5. If you wish to have a thicker sauce in the stew, thicken with a little cornflour mixed with water.
6. Stir through the whole grain mustard and chopped parsley.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve with mashed or boiled potatoes.