Pot Luck Sunday
Students enjoyed their time at the weekly Pot Lucks cooked by Chef Lily!
Lily cooks food for the students who find themselves on campus every Sunday and this week we even got a visit from some potential future students (in about 10 years). The recipe this week was potato cakes, a classic dish that can be eaten on the go. The recipe is nice and easy to follow, all you’ll need is as follows;
- 4-5 large white potatoes (peeled & washed)
- 1 x Chicken/Vegetable Stock Cube
- Handful of Chopped Parsley (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 x Egg
- 80g Grated Mozzarella (optional)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- Chop the potatoes small and cover with water. Bring to the boil, and add the chicken/ vegetable stock cube. Cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the water, retaining 50 ml to one side. Mash the potatoes into a mixing bowl.
- Straight away add the retained stock, parsley, salt & pepper, cheese (if using), and egg. Quickly mix together until smooth. (The heat of the potatoes will cook the egg, and it makes the mash very smooth and creamy).
- Set a large frying pan on the hob over a medium heat, spray with Fry Light and then reduce the heat.
- Spoon round balls of mashed potato into the frying pan, spaced widely apart (You can use an ice cream scoop to get them the same size or form ball shapes using your hands).
- Using the back of a spoon, sprayed with Fry Light, press the potato down into an circle about a centimeter to a centimeter and a half thick.
- Neaten up the edges as they cook, using a spatula to press the top of the potato cakes occasionally to help bind them together.
- When they have browned on one side, flip and continue cooking until browned on that side too.
- Remove from the pan and repeat until the mash is gone.
- Serve hot or cold with extra parsley to garnish!